Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Peaceful Negro and the Insanity of Racism


For all intents and purposes, I hope for this blog to take a perspective on racial relations that has yet to be discussed that all may feel but none may talk about.

As a black man, I experience a certain type of racism (I understand that every non-white person does to an extent). The pathologies that African Americans develop as a result of racism has a profound effect on how we interact with unknown white Americans, especially in formal settings. An experience I recently had opened my eyes to a few things.

I enjoy playing basketball. On this one day in particular, I was coming from work and before going to a basketball gym I decided to stop at this bank to deposit this check. It had been a check I received quite a long time ago and finally decided to do something with it. Anyways, as with most days I dress professionally—I wear slacks and button down shirts every day.

The bank has quite a significant distance from the entrance to the teller’s counter—approximately 20 yards. As soon as I walk in I notice how all eyes lock in on me, and I am receiving a hard stare for approximately 2 or 3 seconds before some greets me. They welcome me to the bank while looking at my profile more-so than my face. As I continued to the teller’s desk I mentioned that I am going to deposit the check. I have never been to this bank before, so none of the tellers recognize me, I get that.

What is frustrating is that their suspicion has distracted them from being courteous, which is very important for local banks, which this bank happens to be. Instead of looking at me in the eyes when I arrive at the counter I notice them looking at my lips, my hair and my brow. And after looking at my ID extensively and getting a superior to check the validity of the check that happens to also be a check from the same bank, they finally deposit the check and I exit the store.

While the experience itself is not horrific, my intention is to make this a larger caricature of an everyday experience for black males around the country. Those criminally persecuted for being black, while significant, are in the minority; the vast majority of black men (I’d argue 99%) experience the nuances of racism. It’s the most routine experiences with racism that create insanity. The particulars of my story are what make it pertinent.

Before I walk into the bank, I am aware of how I will be perceived. And that’s the thing about the pathology of racism with many African Americans; many of us feel as if there are things that we personally can do to decrease our chances of being treated poorly. What is even crazier is that African Americans are sympathetic to whites who criminalize us on sight. I certainly was. I was thinking “how I could I blame her for being suspect of me? After all the things she’s seen on TV and how we allow ourselves to be portrayed, I would be suspicious if a strange black man walked into my bank too.” I even double checked my appearance in the window’s reflection. I wear glasses and I am between haircuts so I am not the freshest I could be up top, and I am between shaves too, but I have already mentioned how I am dressed. I was trying to disarm her perceptions.

It does not stop at appearances, either. There are certain mannerisms that black men develop in order to become less threatening to others in hopes of being treated a little more fairly. In this instance, a mannerism I often use is lightening the pitch of my voice. I take much of the base out of it and insert what I perceive to a less aggressive, more accommodating voice. I smile more than I normally would, I hand gesture less and create more small talk than normal as well. These are not conscious adaptations. These are psychological mannerism changes I make whenever I encounter whites (or those in position to afford me opportunities). All of these things are happening whilst I deposit a damn check.

And despite all of my efforts to put myself in the mind of this white woman, despite my inclination to be accommodating to her own stupid ass assumptions about who I might be and what I might do, I still received no different treatment. I might as well have gone inside the bank with loud headphones, chewing gum, skittles and a hoodie. To make matters worse, I had even told my friend-who had been wearing a hoodie and sweatpants- to remain in my car as I went into the bank. At that moment, as she avoids eye contact and excessive investigation of a check that belongs to the bank, I almost snapped. I began to wish that I was indeed there to rob the store. I longed to become the nightmare she assumed I was.

I felt foolish in the end. I felt like an Uncle Tom, a “bitch” (as my friends would just call it), a sell-out and a disgrace. All of my own racial maneuvering was supposed to make this as easy an experience as possible even though I was ready for the worst. I went through this entire mental process in hopes that I would be treated like anyone else.

I began to get angrier because I experience things like this every day. For the most part, however, black men have come to expect racial profiling and coded dehumanation as part of the norm. It is one of the things you learn to accept and adapt. I further got to thinking: how much of my personality is a response to that type of racism? Are there things that I do- even around my black friends- that are internalized from experiences with white people that I have forgotten to code-switch from? How much of this bullshit is actually a functional part of my personality?

You begin to feel foolish for accepting these kinds of things in the first place. You begin feeling foolish for taking this type of routine treatment in stride. But feel powerless because you feel that all of your worldly desires and opportunities are dependent upon taking racism as if it was a talent you list on a resume.

As I exited that bank, I had never been more driven to scare the shit out of some white folk. I am 6’3” 170 pounds. I am lanky with small hands and feet and I wear nothing but snug dress clothes. In my community, I am one the least threatening brothers you will find. Yet in another context, all these dress clothes, smiles and bowties makes you scary. I left feeling angry, menacing, and maniacal. And once again, Powerless, because I realized the following:

Fear is the one power we have over white people. Nevertheless, it is a power they give us. Aint that black folk in America? Even when we try to change the variable, they control the experiment.

12 comments:

  1. I couldnt have said it better myself... Even dressed up we just a N****a with a suit on...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rascism is so well and alive and is here to stay,and as long as blacks are violent and continue to be criminals the good will have to suffer. instead of keeping our pride and being productive blacks are making us look like disfunctional fools.caucasians want a reason to hate and as long as they are the only race that represents all the high,powerful and demanding jobs such as policeman,judges,prosecuters,lawyers,warden,mayors,governors ect,thier will never be change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The issue is with that statement, Anonymous, is that Blacks are not the only criminals on the planet. White people commit criminal acts as well. In fact, I would be willing to bet that the most overly violent incidents occur at the violent hands of a white person more than blacks...i.e. Oregon Mall shooting, Colorado Movie Shooting, OKC bombing, etc. The problem is the perceived relationship between the action and the race of the individual--if one illogically tries to make a link between the two. Here's the rationale: in those incidents, if the guilty party committing the crime is white, isolated person; same instance the person is black, "that's their culture, their mentality". It even has an affect on the way that blacks look at crime themselves. If a criminal act that is severely gruesome occurs with the violator being black, we have developed a notion of including them within a imaginary family involving the entire African American community. For example, the DC Sniper; when we all found out they were black, we moaned at the idea of us claiming the crime as if we all did it together as a race of people. In those examples above and more throughout history, white people would not look at the crime with the eye of racial claiming, but as individually--or at worst, as a family--claiming the crime. The point I am making is, if it good enough for white people to look at other white people as individuals when it comes to stereotypes involving lifestyles and crime, why can't I as a black man have it the same way?

      Delete
  3. I dont feel as if we even need to focus on how African Americans treat white people. Nor am I interested in how white people treat other white people. In the article, I also mentioned how black people are often suspicious of other black people. It is an issue that extends far beyond how white people in particular treat us. What is certain is that our hectic interaction with supremacist culture affects how we psychologically feel about ourselves. Thus, I would prefer it if the discourse specifically dealt with how we find ways to deal with the subtle prejudice within ourselves. In the end, it is not the teller that I indict; it is my fault I gave her the power to dictate how I behave toward her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good topic young man! Remember, It's not what they call you, it is what you answer to. Keep your chin up and chest out. Never bow down and stay strong Black Warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article! Arguably, 90 percent of us black males develop a mental illness in our lifetimes. One of the reasons, especially for large black men, is our incapability of remaining anonymous in this society. We are scrutinized from dusk till dawn! Have you ever looked at a defenseless old white woman crossing the street or in the grocery store, and thought about offering assistance, only to find yourself instead wondering how many black folk she or her family have spit on in her life? Or ever just decided to take a look around and you are the only black person in sight? What about at work when your white co-workers get comfortable enough with you to the point where they actually don't even think about what they are saying, and they let something stupid slip out of their mouths? What about in hindsight, conflicting with yourself about whether you should have allowed a white friend or associate, to get away with a racial remark you did not like? We are on CONSTANT alert at times just waiting for something to happen in certain environments! This creates mental illness. White males are intimidated and sometimes scared of us for whatever reason. Some admit it, and some don't... and this causes much strife. The other bad thing is that there are actually good, non-assuming white folk out there who don't live with the "entitlement" code. They get caught up in innocent association. ..much like our ancestors did, though obviously on a much different level. White folk who tell us to "just get over it" have NO clue what we deal with mentally! If you study our history and theirs, if you understand how the world works.....you are not going to just get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad but, so true....:-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great article and on point as what I feel everyday in the University setting. Most days I go home angry at white folk for all the sly comments and looks that I receive. I am the first in my family to go to college and I grew up in a impoverished Black and Brown community in Cali (impoverished, but filled with Black and Brown kings and queens). I started late and transferred from a community college which to some of these white folk seems to be a crime in itself. I am very good and math and I study Statistics, but I always get the same comment when I say that, "oh wow! You study Statistics? So your actually smart then?" Which this usually puts me in a rage that seems like I can't do anything about if I want to continue on and graduate. I plan to start my own Black owned tech company in the next few years, but until then I work as a data analysis for the university's hospital. I work in a locked building that has many people with MD's and PhD's coming for meetings. Since my cubicle is close to the door I usually get up to open it very dreadfully because I either get looks of surprise for the white men or looks of terror from the white women. Every time it seems to just end with me mad and them supposedly oblivious to their white privilege and racist stereotype. So I started to dress more menacing for my amusement. I where Chucks, Dickies, and a Khaki button up's. I also grew a goatee and I now strut to the door (the door has a large piece of glass in it). I do very good work and my boss knows that I am intelligent and capable to do my work, so she doesn't seem to mind or thinks I must be one of the good ones, but the people coming in with fear just make me laugh pretty hard at desk and with my friends when I share the story.
    No matter how you dress they will still fear you. They even fear an educated, intelligent, Black Man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Appreciate the feedback, everyone. Some of the ways that we deal with the nuances of racism are fascinating to me. Sometimes, I have to analyze myself over and over. I get to the point where I am not sure whether I am sensing prejudice that isn't there, or whether I am psyching myself into thinking that I am cowardly if I accept that there is none present. Its quite the dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely understand and empathize with you brother. I go into my local Walmart at least once a day and I feel like I go through the same "profiling" each time. I too "lighten up" and give an extra smile or two just to seem a little less frightening. There are still some times when I could just snap out and give the people the show they are looking for.

    -A sometimes angry but mostly friendly black man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well written. Even in today's society, we (as blacks) continue to be viewed/treated based on the "color of our skin." This society is far, far from "content of our character."

    ReplyDelete